Locating duplicate listings can seem difficult if you’re not sure how to begin or where to look. In the article below we’ve provided the steps you need to take in order to find duplicate listings and how to clean them up!
For this list we’ll use a bakery in Indianapolis, IN as an example.
- Go to Google Map Maker and search for Indianapolis, IN.
- Enter the bakery’s phone number in the search bar. This will provide you with every business in the Indianapolis area with that specific phone number.
- Open each business’ website in a new tab and write down the URL’s with the corresponding business name as well as phone number, street address, suite #, city and ZIP code.
- Be sure to highlight any information that does not match up so that you are aware of it.
- Now you must find the “CID”. You can do this by selecting “View Page Source” then pressing CTRL+F and searching for “CID”. You should find a long number. Replace the number we’ve bolded in the following url with the number you find: http://maps.google.com/maps?cid=389725787473153472. Record that as your maps url.
- To find out if there are any duplicates go to google.com and type in your information in the appropriate categories: “street number” “beginning of street name without prefixes” “city name” “contact” inurl:about site:plus.google.com. Also, be sure to include &filter=0 to ensure nothing is filtered out.
Using the steps provided above you should be able to successfully locate any duplicate listings. Once you are aware of the duplicate listings you must begin to clean up your listings. To do this you need to make sure that all of your information is consistent and your business name doesn’t contain any keyword stuffing. Also, check to see that you are not overlapping any categories or including categories that shouldn’t be included.
You must also look through the various listings and decide which ones you want to have indexed high on the Google rankings. The best listings should have the strongest url included in them so that they rank the highest on Google.
I hope that the information we’ve provided you with above will help you better locate any duplicate listings and ultimately help you improve your website’s SEO!